The Christian faith is more than an emotional experience, it also involves certain beliefs about God, ourselves, and relationship to God. It is part of the responsibility of the church to pass these beliefs on to its members in order to preserve the "faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints" (Jude 3). Paul was concerned that this be done (see 1 Cor. 15:1-4; 1 Tim. 3:9; 2 Tim. 2:2). The earliest Christian creed was both a statement of doctrine and an acknowledgment that brought salvation; it was "Jesus is Lord" (Rom. 10:9).
These are the beliefs Nazarenes hold to be true:
- We believe in one God-the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that the Old and New Testament Scriptures, given by plenary inspiration, contain all truth necessary to faith and Christian living.
- We believe that man is born with a fallen nature, and is, therefore, inclined to evil, and that continually.
- We believe that the finally impenitent are hopelessly and eternally lost.
- We believe that the atonement through Jesus Christ is for the whole human race; and that whosoever repents and believes on the Lord Jesus Christ is justified and regenerated and saved from the dominion of sin.
- We believe that believers are to be sanctified wholly, subsequent to regeneration, through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit bears witness to the new birth, and also to the entire sanctification of believers.
- We believe that our Lord will return, the dead will be raised, and the final judgment will take place.
Official Site of the International CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE